1/11/09

midwifery

For a long while now (about 3 years)I have taken up a very keen interested in the world of midwifery. Through a special friend I learned about doulas and their roles and decided that this would be a good first step to see if this was a road in which I wanted to go down. So their I was, with a new baby trying to get certified. It took a little while but I did it! I have a doula certificate through Childbirth International though I have yet to use it. It seems that with (now) three kids, I can't find the time to do something that would be mostly volunteer work. I wouldn't make enough to pay for daycare, nor would I want to at this point.

All this being said, I think I want to go back to school. Does that make sense? "No." you say? I know it doesn't, but it sort of does at the same time. You see, in Canada, it takes four years to become a registered midwife. That's four years of school work only one of which you're in a placement with a midwives schedule. So for three years, I'd actually be a student in normal classes. And, my husband has told me that he wants to stay at home while I have class. So, my kids would not be bounced around from person to person or daycare to daycare. I applied to a program last year, but decided to refuse the acceptance because of a surprise baby that would make his appearance in late October. Looking back I see that this was God's timing and I couldn't be happier with how everything has worked out.

I've been preparing my application and will send it in tomorrow. I guess we'll see where this road leads.

2 notes:

Lola said...

So exciting! I would love to be a midwife someday. We'll see.

If you get to do it, I know you'll be great! I've thought about moving to the states and doing but we'll see.

Lola said...

I have no facebook right now and I'm dying for some pictures of your family and your new little baby. Let me see some of those photography skills in action!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com