5/20/09

Tired

I think I may have created a monster. I mastered the art of nursing the Chipper while lying down. This meant not a lot of sleep was lost by me or him. He was awake only long enough to get a good latch and then drifted off to la la land easily. I would often wake up in the morning and not remember having fed him, and yet, there he was, content. So, I can only assume that I was too exhausted to wake up at all and feeding him became second nature. Chip is now 6 (and a bit) months old. He sleeps in our bed. He starts out in his, way too small bassinet and by about 2:00 on he's in with us. It's been pretty annoying lately, but I don't know what to do. I can't even fathom sitting up and feeding him. I tried last night, and failed miserably. I remember letting Carson just cry it out at 7 months in the basement with only a baby monitor turned on silent (lights only mode) to hear his cries. I felt guilty about that then, and still do now. I don't know why, but I don't think I could do it to another of my offspring. I'm also going through a pot of coffee a day to stay awake because my sleep is so disrupted by a kicking, scratching, cooing, sometimes playful, sometimes upset wee little babe. Any suggestions? I'm open to anything.

In other news, I've gone through almost everything we own and taken what I don't think is practical out to be put in a yard sale. (June 8th, 130 Algonquin, if you're interested)So *all* I have left to do is pack what's left. Any tips of where to start? I have a little less than three weeks and don't want to rush the packing and live like campees too prematurely. But, I don't want to be rushed at the end either. hmmmmm

5 notes:

Lola said...

I don't know Dane. We went through that with both our girls at about 6 months and we let them cry for a couple of nights. They were actually in our room in a crib and we just figured we'd endure the loud crying for a few nights. The thing is though, they never went more than 10 minutes so it wasn't to awful. I totally understand why you wouldn't want to let him cry. I don't have much in the way of grand ideas. I just know that once mine started sleeping 11 or 12 hours through the night we were both happier.

Jamie said...

Wish I had some help to offer. We transferred Rilla out of our bed at two months (when we moved) and it was good timing for me. I'm still not really awake when I get up to take care of her but it works somehow. I think it took a few nights of having to force myself alert before it became routine. I wish I had some good suggestions! I sympathize on the sleeplessness... Rilla is up 5-6 times a night lately.

After like twelve moves in the last five years, my favorite method is to pack the super-easy things that you won't need, like books, ahead of time. Then leave the rest until the last minute and shove it all in boxes... because it seems like no matter how carefully you pack, it all ends up in a jumble anyway, so you might as well use it all as long as you can. If you will have help when it's time to go, that's my suggestion.

Anonymous said...

so happy you updated. don't know much about the mama stuff. but appreciate hearing what is going on in your life. don't like to think of you being so tired that you have to drink so much coffee. i wish i could come over and babysit for you and more than that i wish i could come over and HANG WITH YOU!!! Get some sweet laughs in!!! anyways. hope our friends help you out with some sweet baby advice!!!
love EB

Dea' said...

Hmm.... We did the 'cry it out' and it led to awesomeness. Tough for 3 nights in a row, but then awesome. Then, we all moved into our current arrangement and it all went to crap so? Hm.
About packing, oh man, I have learned that despite what I have always held to (keep everything homey and out and pretty till the end...) it's actually waaaay bettern to get as much as possible done beforehand. I went on a trip 2 weeks before our big move. Before I left I had organized everything that mattered to me; cleaned out the closests, set aside garage sale stuff, etc. When I came home, Jeremy had almsot everything packed (everything! furniture, bed, etc). Sure, the last week was a bit 'campy', but it let us relax a bit, watch some shows, enjoy the town, clean, etc.
Packing and stuff is so hard and can be so draining (especially with kids). If you take time to flow with it and allow it to be calm and steady it might make it happier for everyone.
But-- GOOD LUCK!!!!

I love you more than sunshine! said...

ha ha I nursed al of my babes lying down--auto pilet girl. You'll get your rest too (best for mamma and baby)! Good to see you girl. Your babes are adorable.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com