6/18/09
So, I'm learning all about gentility (that's a word right?). I've always admired gentle women. I've known a few. I don't consider myself to be someone that would be lumped into the 'gentle' category. I actually think 'bull in a china shop' fits the bill in my case. In high school I was the over-bearing loud one that craved attention. In college I decided that I needed to reinvent, or at least stop pretending to be OK with that stereotype. So I worked towards meekness and just getting lost in the crowd. I didn't. I don't think. I was still loud, sometimes obnoxious and always at every 'party'(or maffia game that was under the guise of said party). My 'timidity' or 'meekness' was lost in the shadows of my loud personality, to say the least.

Now that I'm a mom I'm realizing that I don't need to necessarily conform into a timid or quiet gal. Wouldn't it be a treasure to lump meekness and gentleness in amongst some of my other more dominant traits? I mean, I'm really not that loud anymore (minus the occasional maffia game, or charades...or just loud games in general) and I don't think I'm that obnoxious, though I wouldn't be the best judge of myself.
I've really lost the point to this post.

Oh, I guess all I want to say is that, I like being loud, but I love having my children and husband thinking of me as gentle...a wife who gently loves her husband, a mama who loves and disciplines with a gentle spirit. And can be loud at the occasional hockey game. Or choir concert. HA!

5 notes:

Jamie said...

I LOVE that beautiful picture at the top of your page!!

I was talking about gentleness with somebody lately and we were kind of realizing that you don't have to be a quiet person to have a gentle and quiet heart. It was encouraging.

I most definitely think of you as someone who has a quiet and gentle heart. Your boys and husband are blessed that you care so deeply about continuing to cultivate that.

Anonymous said...

GOSH I LOVE YOU. plus i feel the exact EXACT same way. I have thought about gentleness so much in the last few years, mostly I remember one class dr. myron penner was talking about gentleness and I never forgot it. I always pick out the verses about gentleness when I am reading too. Anyways. I love this and I agree with it. and I long for the same gentle spirit and I admire it so much when I have the pleasure of being around gentle people. but on the other hand, just like jamie says, you don't have to be a quiet person to have a gentle and quiet heart. good point.
love eb

20Birds said...

being loud when it is needed is part of gentleness i think... gentleness and loving go together and part of loving is enthusiasm when called for... i am not saying it the way i want... so i will stop and hope you know what i mean, and i want to say, dana you are one of the gentlest people i know... love the blog redecorating

Unknown said...

dana you were really gentle today with carson in my house...you were reprimanding him, but you were very gentle.

Desley said...

Great post, Dana.
One of the things that encourages me is knowing that our personalities were custom designed by God Himself for His purposes. Otherwise, I'd be in big trouble.

I am learning right now to stop trying to conform to the personalities of others, but instead to appreciate the different personality traits God has instilled in us. We each have something different in us that reflects a different attribute of our God Who is the source of it all. We just have to have our eyes open to recognize these traits.

As far as "timidity" goes...haha...that's my worst enemy. The kind of timidity that I embody is pure and unadulterated self-centeredness. To the point that all I could see is myself and am too afraid of messing up or looking like a fool to love others. And I've tried conforming...but that just makes me more self-centered. Too focused on myself to see others. :-(

Leona shared a good metaphor with us at Bible study. She mentioned how, when driving a motorcycle, you have to keep your eyes on where you want to go....'cause you will always end up going where your eyes are looking. And this is true with us.

I want Jesus to get me to the place that I no longer waste one ounce of energy or one thought on myself. I want to have the mind of Christ and see others. How I could love them. How I could bless them. Build them up. Encourage them. And on my own this would be impossible, but all things are possible to him (or her) who believes.
So I am learning to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus and just by having Him in my sights He does the transforming. He doesn't change our personalities. After all, those were His concoctions and each one is unique and special in its own way...just like our fingerprints. He doesn't make mistakes. He just tweaks them of self and brings the best out of each one of them.

If it means anything to you at all, I think you are one of the most gentle women I have ever met.

Love the blog, btw!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com