6/10/10
Homeschooling.

If you are anything like me, you have a few preconceived ideas of what that word means. Up until about 6 months ago, it held very different connotations to me than what it does today. There's a certain stigma surrounding those 'homeschooled people'. Growing up, I always felt a little sorry for kids who didn't get to come to school (even though I begged my mom all through grade 6 to homeschool me. She said no, because we'd clash).

I think my husband and I have come to a decision to give homeschooling a try. I feel very convicted about it, at least in the early years. I would love to say that I will be doing it for the rest of my childrens' school-aged years, but I've learned that I am only capable of following through gracefully if I take things inch by inch.

I wanted to share some of our convictions and also some of our concerns. One thing that has become very apparent to us in the last four years is that life is short, and these boys are growing up so fast. Family and family time means a lot to us and from what I've heard and read, school takes a lot of the 'time' out of family. I also think that the first few years of school lean towards a feminine approach to schooling. Which is fine, but each of my kids learn completely differently and I could see them both thriving and deflating in a structured classroom setting.
We have also come to realize that Christian education is really important to us. Our kids are impressionable. Fact. I could get into all the different types of curriculum that I struggle with in the Public/Catholic system, but I think it's sufficient to say that biblically-based teaching is where we want to start our kids off. If we can build their foundation biblically, then hopefully, in the later years they will be able to make wise decision with discernment.

I do, however, have some reservations. My biggest one being that I don't think I can do it. My patience often leaves a lot to be desired and I have a hard time being disciplined and sticking to a schedule. Now, I know that one of the best parts of homeschooling is that you're not tied down to a schedule, but one of the funny things about me is that I need consistency in the things that I need to get done, or they won't get done at all. Also, there's the whole social aspect of homeschooling (a pretty huge discussion on its own).

I am also having a really hard time finding a curriculum. I know that I want it to be a little more structured and follow the Ontario curriculum a little more closely than most of the ones that I've been finding. (Like I said, I need structure) But, I also want it to be a Bible based curriculum. Any thoughts/ideas/resources???

13 notes:

deborah said...

It's looking as though I will be attempting the same thing this fall with Kazia. And I'm fearful of many aspects too, like lack of discipline and she and I totally clash. But it's really been put on my heart and so (with God's strength!) I will give it a try...

Curriculum...I've been doing a lot of investigating. 100 Top Picks by Cathy Duffy is a book I've read that outlines personality types and gives suggestions for resources. I've found it helpful to determine with different curriculums offer and what they're like.

I probably could write a novel about what I've researched and read...maybe I'll blog about some of the ones I've been looking at...
darn - I've invited you to my blog twice but it hasn't worked - email me: deb.heerema(at)gmail.com and I'll be sure to sent you one.

deborah said...

my curriculum post is up - send me an email! :)

Lorraine M said...

I'm really for home schooling so I'm glad you've made this decision, Dana.

When I was in grade 2 my mom kept me home on Fridays and "homeschooled" me but it didn't really work that well because she was just "mommy" and not "Mrs. Maxwell." There wasn't much structure and it was really easy to not listen and just want to play, especially when you're in your own house. I already knew I hated school so having my mom do it to me just seemed worse. I think it was the lack of structure and schedule though and there wasn't a good enough line between mommy time and learning time.

I knew some girls in the country who were home schooled but their parents didn't choose a very good curriculum and so they never technically graduated high school I don't think.

As for the social thing, I think it'll just be whatever you make it. I think school for me was a really big eye opener to the non-Christian world, which as Christians I think it is really important for us to be aware of.

And that's just my little take on the matter.

Katarina said...

You can always use 2 cirriculums. Take the Ontario Curriculum and then find a good bible based one and merge the two together.

Especially in the early years (like K through 2), it would be fairly easy to do.

Jen said...

My good friend Paige is a beautiful mom of 7 and homeschools. Here's her blog - she is always full of good stuff. She labels everything on her blog so you'll find all her homeschool stuff pretty easily. And I'm sure she wouldn't mind answering any questions you have.
http://sojourner-ephraim.blogspot.com/

As far as suggestions/tips....I got nothing :)

Jamie said...

We've got a ways to go yet but we are feeling the same way about homeschooling. I don't have any curriculum advice but I will love hearing whatever you have to share about your experiences as you go.

Lola said...

We've decided to start with a relaxed Charlotte Mason approach mixed with other things people have suggested here in Three Hills (which is like the homeschooling mecca of the world)

Keep us up to date on what you decide to do.

Anonymous said...

oh my soul. i admire you so much! i hope you can find some other mamas and dads that are hoping to homeschool their kids too in the community so you can have a place to share ideas and stuff! i really can't believe you are doing this, but i shouldn't be surprised at this point!! you always amaze me with what you get into!! awesome dana! i lvoe what you said about the "feminine" approach to education. I've thought of that SO much. (even though I want to be a teacher) I'm always sooo excited when guys want to be teachers because I see how needed and necessary that approach is! lucky that nik's a teacher!! sweeeeet!!! i wish i could come visit you!
love erin

Anonymous said...

HI Dana,
There are many home schoolers in the TB area, and I'm sure there is a group that does field trips and supports each other. You may want to contact The Forest School run out of South Gillies (same family as Both Hands Bread), I'm sure they can give you some direction about the local scene. Rainy and I totally couldn't work together at home. Structure is really important, especially for younger children, and also knowing where you are and where you want to go. Much of the Ont. Curriculum is based on "big ideas" of comprehension and making connections, but most of what you will want to focus on in the beginning is reading, writing and math. These can all be Christian related.
You may want to plan with the end in mind. We have known children who were home schooled and then were unable to further their education due to lack of formality. It used to be that you had to register with a school anyway and then home school. I'm not sure if this still applies.
All parents are natural teachers. You are already teaching your boys every day. Explore, talk, have fun - that is what learning is all about! Iris

Anonymous said...

I'm also giving homeschooling a shot! We'll see though, I don't have the patience of a teacher, God help me :)

I got your message on my site, that you recieved your hat! Great!! Thanks for the great feedback. If you could, I'd love to see a picture of your little lady in it, and some feedback on my etsy site would be great too :)

Thanks!!
Lori

20Birds said...

Dana, if you and Nik choose this, well lets talk.. i have homeschooled both emily and jenni, and i have many resources. love you darling, come take my picture ok?

Dea' said...

SO rad!!! Great to hear!
Two things:
1. Look at your life. You can SO sooo do this. I mean, holy cow Dane', the stuff you've accomplished already, WITH kiddos and preg's and marriage and photos and life...! You'll be a rad schooling mama :)
2. The socialization thing (in my opinion; through much thought and reading and discussion) isn't as terrifying as many want us to believe. I great book to check into is "hold onto your kids". It looks at some of the negative effects of our peer-oriented culture and how attaching to parents is not only normal, but awesome! Kids will be around people. There are sports, church, family outings, etc. But the depth and value of education will be so much more beautiful through the family.
We're going the same way. Many moms (BC and AB) are integrating their provincial curriculm with SunLife (I think that's what it's called). I think you can integrate Christian curriculum and still be accredited provincially.
Good luck!

snoring solutions said...

This site is great. I don't have any curriculum advice but I will love hearing whatever you have to share about your experiences as you go.I knew some girls in the country who were home schooled but their parents didn't choose a very good curriculum and so they never technically graduated high school I don't think.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com