11/6/09

364 days old

To my Charlie,
Tomorrow you will be 1. 1 year ago tomorrow I saw your face for the first time, felt your fingers wrap around mine and took in your crooked little toe. You took my breath away when you looked up at me from your little cocoon of darkness. November 6th was the day that changed me. Your brothers changed me too. But you awakened the joy that they had started. It wasn't until you came along that I realized how fast it all goes and how I shouldn't wish away the tantrums or the snot all over my pants, hands, cheek, knees etc. those snot infested places mean that someone had smooshed their face into me out of love...or joy.
You, my Chip, are going to do wonderful things. I've been told by more than two others that they've had dreams of you, serving the Lord. I couldn't ask for anything else, for any of you. But you seem to have always come to mind when I think of what God has called me, as a mother to do. To bring you three up to know the Fear of God and to be men of integrity.
I will dirty my knees everyday on yours and your brothers' behalf. I will do whatever I'm called as your mama. I love you, I know these words aren't much or they aren't eloquent, but they're your mom's love poured out to you, this day...on the eve of your first birthday. May you grow into a man that honours and brings glory to my God, your Creator.

6 notes:

20Birds said...

I love you dana and your boys, gorgeous words here, to match the gorgeous love you have for them

Melinda said...

What a beautiful way to capture your words for your little boy. You are a beautiful mother. Continue to raise them up for the Lord. Place them in His hands as His arrows to shoot them out to do great thing on His behalf.

Happy birthday Chipster!

Anonymous said...

whoah i'm choking back soft soft sobs (did you watch the proposal??? no????...nevermind), but seriously that was beautiful dana. i really am almost crying. i am so proud of you as a mom and your incredible accomplishments for such a young girl that you are. i love you to bits and peices and i am sooo sad that i've never had the pleasure of meeting sweet sweet chip. what a CUTE little guy he is!!
soon, and very soon.
love you so much
eb

Jamie said...

Oh Dana. That made me cry.

Happy birthday, Chip!

Ashleigh said...

What a sweet letter to your babe, Dana.
And, in an attempt to honour him and his immunity and well being :) ...
I used to care what others (incl. family) thought about how I raise my boys and what I do, or do not feed them. Then I realized: if I am feeding them sugar and other garbage I am actually harming them. I'm not being mean by withholding sweets. I am loving on them by encouraging good habits, by instilling the truth that we need to treat ourselves, our bodies as temples. By giving them sugar/refined stuff we are actually robbing them of the opportunity to grow and develop into the most amazing little beings. We'll waste more time @ the Dr and Dentist, and it will be our fault. That said, I have a mostly supportive family in this area. I think it's just one of those things you have to stand up for and say "I don't care" what others think or how they criticize. They are YOUR kids.
As far as substituting sugar/honey/apple sauce, I've never actually tried honey. Usually I either just omit or greatly reduce sugar. Kids don't notice the lack of sugar in things such as fruit (berry) muffins or banana bread. Just add an extra banana - makes a huge difference! Or include a few raisins, or other dried fruit and that will help too. I use applesauce as a bit of a sweetener but also instead of butter or lots of oil. It provides lots of moisture. Just make sure your stuff has a bit of fat in it or it will stick to the pan like crazy! :)
Thank you for your prayers for our daughter. We're so close I can taste it...ok, this should have been an email :)
A

Unknown said...

dana, those words were in fact, very, very "much". those boys could not be luckier or more blessed.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com